How to Make Mexican Hot Chocolate Pour Over Coffee
Jingle and mingle this holiday season with a drink that’s sure to impress.
Make the holidays even merrier with festive drinks featuring the ESPRO BLOOM Pour Over. Yes, that pour over. The one you bring out every morning to start your day also moonlights as the perfect entertaining drink maker.
Case and point: Our Mexican Hot Chocolate Pour Over Coffee
It’s the perfect marriage of coffee and hot chocolate with a dash of Mexican chili powder—completely unexpected and completely delish. It’s a known fact that chocolate and spice pair unbelievably well together. And adding coffee to the mix adds a whole new depth of flavor.
Once you try it, you may not go back to a regular mocha again (we’ve warned you!). And using our BLOOM Pour Over Brewing Kit makes the preparation an experience your guests will love. It looks super fancy, but it really couldn’t be easier.
Makes 2 servings
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- 3 tablespoons finely ground coffee (coarsely ground if you’re not using a paper filter)
- ¼ to ½ cup whole milk (or milk of your choice)
- Whipped cream, cinnamon and cocoa powder for garnish
1. Start by placing the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon chili powder in the bottom of the carafe.
2. Next, place the ESPRO Bloom Pour Over on top of the carafe, and insert a pre-wet paper filter (only if you want to!) for quick cleanup.
3. Add your coffee grounds inside the paper filter and pour in 1.7 ounces of hot water that’s 195-205 degrees in a circular motion (Pro tip: A gooseneck kettle is perfect for this because you can control where the water goes more easily, and it’s a slower pour.).
4. Wait 30 seconds for the coffee to bloom before adding the remaining 11 ounces of hot water. As the coffee drips down into the carafe, it’ll mix with the sugar, cocoa and spices (and make your kitchen smell amazing).
5. Remove the BLOOM Pour Over by the lip (safety first!) and give the coffee a quick stir to make sure everything has dissolved before dividing your carafe of coffee into two coffee cups. Stir in whole milk, then top with a big dollop of whipped cream. Add some cocoa powder and cinnamon (or Mexican chili powder if you dare) to the top as a garnish. Cheers!
Looking for more holiday drinks? Check out our White Mocha Peppermint Pour Over Coffee