Hazelnut Affogato with Almond Praline
If you can’t get to Italy, this hazelnut affogato is the next best thing. Affogato means “drowned” in Italian, and, in this case, vanilla gelato or ice cream is downed in coffee (is there anything better?). Although you could add a shot of espresso or hot coffee, we love using the ESPRO Cold Brew Coffee Kit CB1 instead. That way your gelato stays colder longer so you don’t have to rush to eat it (we think an affogato with some amazing cold brew should be savored).
Makes 4 servings
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup slivered, toasted almonds
- 1 pint vanilla gelato or ice cream, divided
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold brew coffee concentrate diluted with ¼ cup water
- ½ cup hazelnut liquor, divided
- Amaretti or other crunchy cookies for garnish
- To make the almond praline, line a baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- Combine sugar and ¼ cup water in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar has dissolved.
- Cook without stirring until sugar turns a light golden brown; remove from heat.
- Stir in almonds and immediately pour onto prepared baking sheet.
- Let cool completely. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to assemble.
- To assemble the affogato, divide the gelato or ice cream into four clear glasses (so you can see all the creamy, caffeinated glory).
- Top each ice cream with about ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon diluted cold brew (expertly made with your ESPRO Cold Brew Coffee Kit CB1, of course).
- Drizzle each glass with 2 tablespoons of hazelnut liqueur. Garnish with almond praline and cookies of your choice. Cheers!