Nothing says it’s the most wonderful time of the year like gingerbread—make that golden gingerbread coffee. Made using a French press or BLOOM Pour Over, it’s easy to make but super impressive (enter edible gold dust). The secret is a homemade spice base that you can make ahead and store in the fridge for up to a week. To make this vegan, just use your favorite plant-based milk and cream alternative.
Makes 1 serving, plus 5 extra servings of spice base
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ cup molasses
- 1tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon powdered sugar
- Pinch of turmeric
- ¼ cup milk of choice, heated
- 1 cup hot, black coffee
- Edible gold flakes and cinnamon for garnish (optional)
Homemade Spice Base
- Combine brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, molasses, and honey in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time, or until hot.
- Stir with a spatula until the brown sugar has dissolved.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Whisk together heavy cream, powdered sugar and turmeric until very thick but before peaks form; set aside.
- Combine 2 tablespoons spice base with ¼ cup hot milk and pour into a large mug.
- Top with hot coffee made using a French press or BLOOM Pour Over.
- Spoon turmeric cream on top and stir gently to swirl.
- Sprinkle with edible gold and cinnamon, if desired.
- Serve immediately.